The Manisty Award for Excellence
· This is the Association’s most prestigious award and is awarded by the Board of the HRA, on an occasional basis, for an exceptional and outstanding contribution to railway preservation – (This award may not necessarily be given every year)
For the 2019 Awards the HRA has decided to present this prestigious Award to the North Eastern Railway 1903 Electric Autocar Trust for their restoration of the Electric Autocar
· Citation: For the restoration of the pioneering 1903 NER Autocar, the first railway vehicle to combine an internal combustion engine with a generator and traction motors, and thus the forerunner of all modern trains.
· This was viewed by many as an impossible engineering project, yet a combination of new build, up cycled components from NIR trains, HSTs, 08s and many more has kept the design of the 'new' bit true to the original design concept.
The name of the winner of the Manisty Award may be published immediately
The following are the short-lists for the 7 HRA Annual awards - The votes will be counted and the winners will be announced at the Awards Ceremony
1. The Morgan Award for Outstanding Achievement
Awarded to an HRA member organisation for an outstanding achievement
· The International Rail Heritage Consultancy Ltd. for the Channel 4 programme: Great Rail Restorations with Peter Snow
· North Yorkshire Moors Railway for the Channel 5 program documenting the day to day life of the NYMR
· The Isle of Wight Steam Railway for the Composite No 10 - The Oldbury Carriage
· Seaton Tramway for their New Seaton Tram Station
2. The Coiley Locomotive Engineering Award
Awarded to an HRA member organisation who has completed an outstanding engineering project in the field of locomotive overhaul, restoration, or preservation
· Greensand Railway Museum Trust for the Restoration of the 40hp petrol 'Armoured' Simplex WDLR LR2182 (MR 461/1917)
· Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway Preservation Society for the “Train from Spain” project: 'Whillan Beck'
· Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway Historic Vehicle Trust for “Jurassic In the Park”
· The War Office Hunslet – Unique survivor of Great War – The Moseley Railway Trust
3. THE LORD FAULKNER Young Volunteer AWARD
Awarded to a volunteer under the age of 26, for significant achievement
· Ashley Helleur of Bodmin & Wenford Railway
· Matt Riley and Conner Thornton of Lincolnshire Wolds Railway
· Matthew Jackson and Matthew Sutton of West Somerset Railway
· Lee Robbins of West Somerset Railway
· Matthew Wilson of the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland
4. HRA Annual Award for Small Groups
Awarded to an HRA member organisation, from the smaller categories of membership, for excellence in developing their business. (This may be for the HRA member organisation as a whole, a group of its staff or volunteers, or an individual)
· Leek Brook Station at Churnet Valley Railway
· The reinstatement of Truthall Halt at Helston Railway
· World War 1 Armistice Commemoration at the Steeple Grange Light Railway
5. HRA Annual Award for Large Groups
Awarded to an HRA member organisation, from the larger categories of membership, for excellence in developing their business. (This may be for the HRA member organisation as a whole, a group of its staff or volunteers, or an individual)
· Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway for Broadway Station
· The Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway for Business Continuity in the Face of Adversity!
· Friends of Black Prince at North Norfolk Railway
· Bodmin and Wenford Railway for Partnership Work with the Wider Rail Industry
6. HRA Award for an Outstanding Visitor Attraction (Small Groups)
Awarded to an HRA member organisation, from the smaller categories of membership, who provides an outstanding visitor experience.
· Hop-tu-Naa event at the Great Laxey Mine Railway
· South Tynedale Railway
· The Horse Trams on the Isle of Man
7. HRA Award for an Outstanding Visitor Attraction (Large Groups)
Awarded to an HRA member organisation, from the larger categories of membership, who provides an outstanding visitor experience.
· The Isle of Wight Steam Railway
· Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway – for the Cliff Railway Day 2018
· Talyllyn Railway
Magazine Editors Awards
Mortons Media (Heritage Railway) Interpretation Award - Robin Jones
Statfold Barn - For an outstanding museum of international narrow gauge railways and a repository of information and artefacts relating to the Hunslet Engine.
The Railway Magazine Annual Award for Services to Railway Preservation - Chris Milner
John Bate of Talyllyn - In recognition of more than 65 years of unbroken and unstinting service to the Talyllyn Railway
Mortons Media (Rail Express) Modern Traction Award - Paul Bickerdyke
North eastern Railway 1903 Electric Autocar Trust
For the restoration of the pioneering 1903 NER Autocar, the first railway vehicle to combine an internal combustion engine with a generator and traction motors, and thus the forerunner of all modern trains.
Steam Railway Magazine Award - Nick Brodrick
This award is still out for public vote in Steam Railway Magazine and will be announced when the votes are counted